[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Potluck, revisited

Etain1263 at aol.com Etain1263 at aol.com
Thu Aug 26 15:26:52 PDT 2004

In a message dated 8/26/2004 3:10:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
phlip at 99main.com writes:

> Now, shall we tell each other what we brought to the Potluck? I think the
> folks at home might enjoy the dishes- I certainly did ;-)

I brought a cooked chicken and made a "sauce for a hen" from "The English
Housewife" (Gervase Markham)
I'd forgotten my redaction from our cook's guild outing, so I just sort of
"winged it".

I took a bottle of the beer I'd brewed for Pennsic (an English pale ale) and
ripped up (finely) two slices of bread.  Brought it to a boil and let it cook
to reduce it somewhat.  Then I mashed 3 cooked egg yolks and added them. Add
about 1/3 cup of the broth from the cooking chicken and let is boil until it
reaches "an indifferent thickness".  I let it thicken slightly.  From here on
in..don't boil anymore, set it off to the side of the fire (did I mention doing
this in the firepit?) and keep it warm.  Add the juice of 2 oranges, the zest
of two lemons and one or two oranges peeled and sliced crossways.  Keep the
sauce warm until serving time.  Then you put the sauce on a platter and pile the
(broken up) chicken on top of it.  (I put the more solid parts down and
poured some of the sauce over the chicken at the potluck)

Etain