[Sca-cooks] New Jobs - or Why I Left the War Early

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 27 06:09:47 PDT 2004

Michael Gunter wrote:

> Now that just sounds like a ton of fun. After my interview today,
> which was
> a disaster, I've come to the conclusion that I really shouldn't be
> trying to
> make a living in computers. I expected to talk to one person and wound up
> in a room with five managers all asking me questions. And I did a lot
> of tap
> dancing. The problem is that I flat couldn't remember some of the things
> I used to do or even what equipment I used. My suicide attempt last
> Feburary
> I think has damaged some of my long-term memory. I couldn't remember the
> name of one of my old supervisors.
>
> So it's nice to hear of someone doing well on an interview for
> something they
> love.
>
> Gunthar
> Definately feeling like "Big Dum Gunthar" right now

Gunther,
Don't feel dumb.  It happens.  I felt really dumb in a technical
interview having to do with Database Administration last week.  I had to
plead ignorance on several questions.  Fortunately, it was a phone
interview, so they didn't see the chagrin on my face!  But I think most
places do understand when you can't remember things from a while back.
I had one interview a few years back where the guy asked me questions
about Digital's VMS operating system...we're talking serious internal
questions here...and this was something I hadn't dealt with in about 10
years!!!

Have you been in touch with your local unemployment office?  They should
be able to put you in touch with programs from the Federal Govt (Dept of
Labor) that pay for training, particularly in technical fields.  They
paid for a number of classes for me a year or so ago...and I now am
certified to receive training in a specific area needed for a specific
job opportunity.  Having that certification definitely helps!  These
days employers don't want to pay to train you and are quite impressed if
you can offer something like this.

Good luck to you!

Kiri