[Sca-cooks] Salisbury Steak

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Aug 27 18:24:11 PDT 2004

Also sprach Dianne & Greg Stucki:
>  > I think overcooking, and braising the meat in the chemical gravy, are
>>  other culprits for why this dish is so bad in school cafeterias, on
>>  airplanes, etc.>>
>
>I serve it with a mild onion and mushroom gravy. SOOO much better than the
>crap served at school, and takes very little time. And even my mega-fussy
>children will eat it!

It seems as if any edible gravy is fine, but my preference is for the
meat not to be submerged, cooked or finished in it for any period of
time. I think the original concept is for a sort of dryish crusty
exterior with moist meat inside. I like the mustard and butter
garnishes, too, and have also made a mustard sauce mounted with
butter in the pan, a little like some period versions of Sauce Robert.

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04