[Sca-cooks] To the King's Taste (was Pennsic Potluck, revisited)

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 28 06:43:38 PDT 2004

On 28 Aug 2004, at 0:26, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Being the procrastinator that I am, I usually end up using someone
> else's redactions since I'm usually deciding what to do just before I
> leave for Pennsic. However, I usually end up altering the redaction for
> various reasons.

> Fig and Raisin Puree
> Redaction from "To the King's Taste"
>
> 1 1/2 cups minced dried figs
> 1 1/2 cups raisins
> 1 1/2 cups red wine
> 1/2 teaspoon finely minced fresh ginger
> 1/8 teaspoon dried or fresh orange peel
> dash salt and pepper
> 1/2 teaspoon red sandlewood powder dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
> (optional)
>
> 1. Simmer all ingredients in covered pot until fruits become soft.
> 2. Puree mixture in a blender.
> 3. Serve warm or chilled.
> ----------
> I used the sandlewood, but it was already pretty dark in color, so I
> don't know that the sandlewood made much difference. I actually
> increased the ginger to closer to 1 teaspoon.

This was very tasty.  When I read the redaction, the presence of the orange
peel startled me.  You don't see much citrus in English cooking until the late
16th century.  Sure enough, the original recipe doesn't mention it, nor does
Lorna Sass explain this addition.  The other thing I noticed was the absence
of the rice flour, which *was* in the original.  In 1975, that would have been a
hard-to-find ingredient, but cornstarch could have been used as a substitute.
In this case, I think it would have been better to use a non-period ingredient
than to change the texture and consistency of the dish.

Still, "To the King's Taste" was a groundbreaking book 30 years ago, and is
infinitely superior to "F_______ F_____".

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net