[Sca-cooks] pretzels?

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Sat Aug 28 09:37:42 PDT 2004

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004, Kathleen A Roberts wrote:

> i seem to remember seeing some pretzels in gothic style
> illuminations (in the borders of all things) but can't for
> the life of me place the century.
>
> can anyone help?  thanks
>
> cailte

The Hours of Catherine of Cleves. My copy is on extended loan at the
moment, but a search should turn up the date. I think it's very late 13XX
or early to mid-14XX, but I could be wrong. It's not my main period of
study so there's less useful info hiding in my head about it.

It's also got a border that's entirely shellfish, like mussels and oysters
and suchlike, which is lifelike enough to make me slightly queasy (I will
eat mussels, but I can't look at them and I can't think of them while I
eat them, because I'm weird that way).

Ah. Google search turns up 1440.

Someday I plan to use it as a source to document the Burgundian Pretzel
Dress. Probably when I'm queen and can convince someone else to make it
for me. :-)

Margaret