[Sca-cooks] Salisbury Steak

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 28 17:56:30 PDT 2004

Laurensa wrote:
>I make the gravy separately, and add it as I serve the meat. The mustard and
>butter sauce sounds yummy to me, and DH would love it, but not so sure about
>the kids...

Sheesh! Back in the dark ages, when TVs only came in black-and-white,
i was a wee tyke and mostly ran around inside in my underwear (there
are photos), and i'd pull a chair up the kitchen cabinets and climb
onto the counter then stand up (foolish, fearless tyke that i was),
and open the upper cabinets and get out the mustard. Then i'd get a
spoon out of the drawer, open the bottle and start eating.

Of course, back in those dark ages, we only had that tasteless yellow
stuff. I was ecstatic when Grey Poupon Dijon showed up in the Chicago
area in, uh, early 60s?

My daughter teases me because i have so many different kinds of
mustard in my fridge - Cajun that's red, cranberry that's almost
purple, mustard with chopped salted Moroccan lemons and garlic, and a
lovely green wasabi-jalapeno mustard...

I haven't made all that many period mustards, only two or three
(Lombard, pear, and uh, something)... i really need to add some jars
of them to the fridge... Of course, i have saved Jadwiga's mustard
article and the mustard file from the Florilegium :-)

Anahita