[Sca-cooks] Interesting period words

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 09:37:30 PDT 2004

--- kingstaste at mindspring.com wrote:

> I'm probably picking up on something not really
> there, but did the name come
> from the actual job description = bake; stir ?
> (one would think it would be
> stirbake, but anyway...)
> Christianna
>

> (1332) Sub.R.Sus.in Sus.RS 10
>     262:  Muriele le Bakestr'.

Since the use of variants of the suffix "ster"
indicate a person who performs an action, it
is not the verb "stir", whose roots are in Old
High German, which means 'to stir or disturb'.
It is just a coincidence that they sound alike.
If it weren't then songster would mean someone
who disturbs a song.  And while I know a few
people whose singing abilities are disturbing,
I don't think that this is what it means.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.