[Sca-cooks] Yonah Shimmel's

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 5 10:28:16 PST 2004

I thought this venerable institution might have been a thing of mere
memory. But Google turned up:

Since 1910
Yonah Shimmel's Knishery
1-212-477-2858
LOWER EAST SIDE
137 E. Houston, btwn 1st & 2nd Ave
http://knishery.com/

For folks who aren't familiar with Manhattan, that street name is
pronounced "house-ton", not "hugh-ston" as in Texas, and not
"who-ston" as i've heard on the BBC.

I'm sure it's not what it used to be, but then, when i was going
there in the late 1960s, it already wasn't what it had been...

I feel pretty confident that they no longer make yogurt every night
in little juice glasses lined up on a tray, then covered with a clean
white linen towel: the lactobacilli were probably "in the house".

It was pretty funky back then. The floor sure had the wear of the
years on it. Now you can order your knishes on-line

Anahita
not planning on ordering Yonah Shimmel's knishes on-line