[sca-cooks] Hamantaschen

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 8 17:13:07 PST 2004

>Thank you Anahita.  I knew what Hamantaschen
>was, but I didn't know that it was exclusively
>Ashkenazi.
>
>So this begs the question then, what do the
>Sephardim and the Mizrachim serve at a Purim
>festival?
>
>Also, I had heard that the Jews who live in
>Turkey were Sephardim, but by your definition
>wouldn't they actually be Mizrachim?
>
>Huette
>I'm just a Goy who can't say "no".

While there might have been some Jews in Turkey from earlier times,
and they'd qualify as Mizrachim, the vast majority of Jews in Turkey
fled there after they were driven out of Spain in 1492, hence they
are Sephardim.

After i sent that post, i started looking for what Sephardim and
Mizrachim have, but have only found one fruit bread recipe from
Morocco (which i'll send after i get more info) - i'm still looking
through my cookbooks.

Anahita