[Sca-cooks] Weird Kitchen Science: Fascinating color-shift phemonenon...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Dec 9 19:33:44 PST 2004

Hullo, the list!

Okay, I've seen this happen before, but never to this extent. For
reasons too complex to go into here, I'm making a Myanmar-style
(a.k.a. Burmese) curry paste / sauce in quantity, starting with about
twelve pounds of blender-pureed Bermuda onions. When you work with
one or two such onions, yes, you do get a bit of a bluish-green color
shift when the onions are blenderized, and then thrown into the pan
to caramelize. The basis for most Burmese curries seems to be about
ten parts onion, two parts garlic, and one part ginger, all pureed
together and cooked down and caramelized with plenty of oil in the
pan, then turmeric added for the basic curry, generally a shrimp
paste product, and any additional spices, optional coconut milk or
tomatoes, maybe chopped cilantro root, added, and all cooked until
thick enough to break apart and release the oil -- you then add your
meat, fish, or vegetables. This basic method is used for a huge
variety of curries, my favorites being the tomato-ey shrimp or fish
version, a beef version with coconut milk instead of tomatoes, and
their version of beef vindaloo, which is killer hot, a little
vinegary, and with just a little tomato added to give an extra
dimension to the flavor.

So, there I am caramelizing twelve pounds of onion/garlic/ginger
puree, and as I say, when I make a pint of this stuff I'm used to the
various sulphur compounds in the onion reacting with either the
ginger and/or the iron pan to produce a slight bluish-green color
which goes away as the product cooks (it turns grey, then brown, then
sorta reddish). I left the kitchen for a few minutes with my pans on
low heat, and came back to find an astonishingly bright aquamarine
blue-green stuff in the pans.

I haven't seen any evidence to suggest this is either unnatural or
dangerous (if I'd been using an unlined copper or aluminum pan, I'd
be worried), but man, this was bright for a food product not
deliberately colored that way.

Will advise if there's an explosion or anything...

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If they have no bread, you have to say, let them eat
brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04