Challenge of history was Re: [Sca-cooks] making ahead and freezing...

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 10 09:31:18 PST 2004

-----Original Message-----
> For my first feast (which was yesterday) I froze the
> rabbit pottage, and stage one of the chicken ambrogino
> (browned chicken and onons) and chickpea soup.  Other
> than intensive work to thaw the stuff, (boil in a bag
> never occurred to me) it worked great and everything
> tasted nummy (i'm told, I didn't get a chance to eat
> most of it.)

I have read this thread only sporadically.  Has anyone brought in the concept that the preparation of the feast is still another attempt to approximate the historical accuracy of our craft?  Sure giant gas ovens are different from the wood hearths morelikely used, but our techniques and avoidance of modern conveniences are both simple choices we can make to reach back and feel the life of the manor kitchen feeding 120 for Feast of St. Bogdacious, forexample.

I avoid as much as reasonable freezing ahead as this wasn't a likely option to the cooks of the time I am working in my menu.  Make ahead is cool forme for cutting veggies or making pastry dough orbaking bread.  That seems a fit in my brain.  Freezing the soups a month our to thaw on site seemsa convenience that could add a little more challengeto the cooks looking to reach that little further back.  I haveeven started cooking my meats over coals instead ofroasting in ovens, when practical, forthat same reason.  Challenging myself to eliminate pieces and parts of modern convenience to experience a little more of the life of preparing an actual feast.

niccolo difrancesco

Nick Sasso