[Sca-cooks] Heirloom Apples

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Dec 13 05:52:08 PST 2004

I came across a variety of heirloom apple being marketed
locally last week in Ann Arbor. They were being marketed
as a 16th century French apple... like you see in the artworks of
the period.
I thought people might like the information that I discovered
when I looked them up.

The apple was 'Calville Blanc D'Hiver', France, late 1590's
French specialty apple, gourmet quality, good for all-purposes
http://gardengal.net/page130.html

CALVILLE BLANC D'HIVER France or Germany 1598
Uniquely shaped medium to large size fruit, skin yellow with light red
flush.
Fine textured. Flesh is tender, yellowish-white; flavor sweet, subacid,
aromatic.
Higher in Vitamin C than an orange. This is the gourmet culinary apple
of France, excellent for tarts.
http://www.treesofantiquity.com/apples.html

Both the web sites are rather interesting.

Happy holidays--

Johnnae