[Sca-cooks] 15th Century Italian Cheese?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 14 11:22:51 PST 2004

I may have mentioned that our local Kingdom cooks list is doing a
"Virtual Feast". There are 8 to 11 people contributing recipes, one
each to every course, each course to feature the dish of one of the
cooks, and each cook assigned to a different type of food.

I was assigned to do Pasta, Grains, Pulses.

First Course - Highlight - Soup or Stew
Second Course - Highlight - Poultry
Third Course - Highlight - Baked something
Fourth Course - Highlight - Vegetables
Fifth Course - Highlight - Fish
Sixth Course - Highlight - Iberian something
Seventh Course - Highlight - Roasted Meats
Eighth Course - Highlight - Sausages
Ninth Course - Highlight - Noodles Grains Pulses
Tenth Course - Highlight - Cheese
Eleventh Course - Highlight - Dessert

We also have a person contributing fruit dishes - but i don't know if
she gets a course - and another for beverages.

For the First Course, i contributed a recipe for Artolagana. There
isn't exactly a surviving recipe for Artolagana, but Athenaeus
describes the dish in "The Partying Professors" (circa 170-239 CE),
as lagana seasoned wine, pepper, milk, and olive oil... and lagana
are a type of fried "pasta". The poet Horace writes of eating
chickpeas and leeks with lagana. So i contributed recipes for all
three.

I'm now working on my second and third dishes. I've already decided
on a slightly out-of-period dish for the course in which my recipe is
featured.

For Second course, i'm contributing a recipe for "Roman Noodles" from
Platina, because they are similar to Lagana, only boiled rather than
fried. I didn't realize when i ordered my copy that the paperback
edition was abridged, so i don't have the original Latin. The recipe
calls for mixing the noodles, which have been boiled in chicken
broth, with cheese, butter, sugar, and sweet spices.

So i'm wondering, other than Parmesan, what would be an appropriate
cheese to use?

Thanks,
Anahita