[Sca-cooks] Oils and stuff

Patrick Levesque pleves1 at po-box.mcgill.ca
Fri Dec 17 05:10:05 PST 2004

Here I am answering my own thread on grapeseed oil... (One of those days
they'll find me muttering to myself wildly in a dark corner and will shut me
away for good :-))

Anyhow, I came across this, which includes information on many essential
oils used in period, their properties and their extraction. It does not
mention cooking oils, however, as it is intended as a medical text (neither
grape seed, nor olive oil, for that matter) but some of you may find this a
useful reference.

'Art et Moyen de tirer Huyles et Eaux, de tous médicaments simples et
oléagineux'

(Art and Manner to extract oils and waters, from all simple or oily (?)
remedies)

By Jacques Besson; publishing date for the second edition is 1579.

It does mention, however, oils extracted from rosemary, rue, oregano, sage,
basil, absinth, anis seeds, fennel seeds, carrot seeds, parsley, cinnamon,
pepper, clove, nutmeg, lemon peel, and quite a few more.

There is another text, 'Question des Huiles traitée problématiquement' (The
matter of oils, debated), by Laurent Joubert, around 1577.   It also lists a
number of different sources of oil: olive, nut, almonds, laurel, linseeds,
poppy seeds, mustard seed, roses, violet, lilies, etc... It discusses their
medecal, not culinary, properties, but does include a few recipes for
medication.

Petru