[Sca-cooks] Stuffed creatures & Stuffed bread

Melanie Wilson MelanieWilson at dragonflight.co.uk
Sat Dec 18 03:10:26 PST 2004

First a question:-

Has anyone come across references to animals/birds stuffed one inside the
other. SCA period or later, I have any I've found in the archieves or
Stefans files,

eg

Stuffed and Roast Mutton; Called "The Complete" [or "The Inclusive"]
from the Andalusian Cookbook

Roast Calf, which was made for the Sayyid Abu-L-'Ala in Ceuta

Trojan Hog - from Magia Naturalis:

FARCED CHICKENS, COLOURED OR GLAZED.

To Make Two Pigeons of One - from Cuoco Napoletano:

Also various cockatrice recipes

(thanks to those wo helped on other lists)

But asking here just incase there are more (I'm sure there are !)

Secondly whilst looking through the archieves I saw a thread regarding
things stuffed in bread. The Records of medieval Leicester mention chicken
baked in bread, and I read a french note in a french museum regarding cheese
baked in bread. I've done this as brie in Brioche several times and it good
stuff ! The skin of a Full brie keeps the cheese in one piece

Mel

Company, unless specifically stated. You should not copy, forward or
otherwise disclose the contents of this e-mail or any of its attachments
without express consent