[Sca-cooks] Mace and Must Substitute

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 18 21:27:31 PST 2004

I was in one of the local hallal markets buying 8 lb. of ground lamb
to make meatballs from the Andalusian cookbook for the two Laurel
vigils i'm cooking. A friend and i will be making them tomorrow and
freezing them.

As usual i wandered through the store looking at stuff...

In the past i have bought Near Eastern Sour Grape Juice to substitute
for verjus - rather *harsh*, but cheap and available. And a couple
partially used bottles sat in my fridge for over a year - they didn't
spoil and the flavor mellowed...

And i have bought Near Eastern sesame oil. It's cheaper, but no where
near as good as what i get at the health food store. The Near Eastern
sesame oil has a bitter overtone or undertone, which the health food
brand doesn't have, being just delightfully nutty and sesame-y, so
i'll keep getting the more expensive stuff.

And tonight...

First, they had packages of whole mace! I don't know what i'll do
with it, but it was under $2, so how could i resist? I mean, it's so
cthulhoid looking - the squidly diddley of spice - how charming!

Second, i noticed bottles of "grape molasses" next to the bottles of
"pomegranate molasses". It looked a lot like the expensive gourmet
must i bought (8 oz for $7), but it's 16 oz. for only $3.50. So i
picked up a bottle. Again, at 1/4 the price, how could i resist?

OK, i just tasted it. The taste is less refined than the chi-chi
must, but it will be an excellent substitute. It's still more
expensive than just soaking bulk-buy raisins, however...

So, anyway, anyone needing must for Greco-Roman or other cuisine, try
your local Near Eastern market for "grape molasses" - or just soak
raisins in water, squeeze 'em good, and use the liquid.

Another Helpful Hint from
Anahita