[Sca-cooks] al-Barran Midwinter is done!

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Tue Dec 21 11:56:21 PST 2004

and boy, am i tired!  still!!!

saturday i served over 350 plus what appeared to be a
rather successful snack and meal.  i had some great
pre-help and site help, and this time i came closer to
supervising the kitchen rather than being elbow deep than
i ever have before.   that was kind of nice... but still
tiring. ;)

the event theme was christmas in the time of the
troubadours, and most research was pre 15th century
recipes, adapted for presentation to large numbers.

for complementary sideboard (read mid-morning snack) we
had salted breadsticks, honey mustard, grapes and an
assortment of commercial pickles, olives, marinated
mushrooms and artichoke hearts.  people really seemed to
appreciate the little noontime snack since the gate opened
at 10, and dinner was at 3.  the meal was served on time
and the last plate served two hours after the first went
out.  there was 1/2 hour of entertainment between the meat
course and the poultry course.

the feast consisted of
1st:  salmon pasties, pate (chopped liver), compost,
herbed cheese, toasts, egg 'salad' (ugly peeling
necessitated the morphing of stuffed eggs)

2nd:  beef/venison stew w/ wine and raisins served on
trenchers, pork/apple/onion stew w/ thyme, oatmeal pudding
with apples and raisins stewed in white wine w/ginger,
butter and honey; roasted vegetables
(carrots/onions/parsips/turnips/rutabegas/leeks)

3rd:  broth of thyme not served due to inadequate amount,
but not missed

4th:  a version of hens in the lombarde manner being
chicken thighs w/bacon under the skin basted w/ vinegar,
cinnamon, cloves and ginger, rice with pears in red
wine/red wine vinegar sauce, and peas.

dessert:  a huge groaning board of cookies (featuring some
of master huen's gode cookeye springerle), tarts, pizelles
and fruit with a later addition of mamoul, almond cookies,
pomegranites, dates, figs and apricots which were a
special "Middle Eastern" presentation danced and processed
during evening court from our B and B to the sultan and
sultana (king and queen).

many happy nummy noises were heard throughout the hall.
 the kitchen was assailed with requests for more of the
beef stew and pork stew.  i don't know where all the
feasters 'put it'!  and of course, being me, there was
plenty for seconds.

basically, we fed almost 400 people with $1300.00, which
is really not too shabby i think.  we also fed the event
site janitorial staff, bartenders and security (makes 'em
happy and more willing to help with those occasional
grease spills).  that money included some presentational
items like edible flowers for garnishing head table and
coffee and cokes for the kitchen staff.

now on to the 'baronial green chili stew' at estrella!

cailte
helium hand extraordinaire
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
University of New Mexico
Office of Freshman Admisions