[Sca-cooks] Home distillation of alcohol

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 23 11:15:09 PST 2004

Can we please agree to disagree on this subject and move on?  It has, after all been argued ad infinitum on this list for years.
I know that there are those on this list who have had personal experience with both Federal and State agencies in this regard.  For instance, my father was T-man, then the agency became the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, still under the Dept. of the Treasury, (some wag suggested they call themselves FAT instead of ATF).  After my marriage, I lived in a small, rural community in the South, whose cash crops at the time all began with the letter M - Milk, Moonshine, and Maryjane.  I had friends that did time.  My ex and I ran a still and grew some weed.  I know how easily you can get away with it.  I also know that just because you can get away with it does not make it legal.  If you had a couple of marijuana plants, strictly for your own use, and your neighbor the cop saw them would you serve any time?  Depends upon the cop, the judge, the mood of the times, and how full the prison system was.  Would it be illegal?  Of course.
My Dad's opinion on this in the past, when the question came up on the list and he was still an agent:  "Ice distillation falls within the definition, and is illegal.  We do not normally prosecute for it, but the practice is illegal."

Pat Griffin
Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook
www.mordonnasplace.com