[Sca-cooks] Helpful Hint From Horatius...

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Dec 24 10:37:03 PST 2004

Hullo, the list!

In our Common Sense Earned The Hard Way department, I thought I'd
relate this little snippet which may conceivably come in handy to
some of you.

I found myself making a half-batch of the Markham sweet cream wafers
this morning, and had noted the previous time I made a batch that I
was having trouble getting them consistently the same size, and was
wasting a lot of batter due to spillage out of the edges of the iron,
which for me is one of the standard old-fashioned clamshell type
pizzelle irons that you heat on the stovetop. It's exactly five
inches across.

Anyway, I found that a level scoop from a #40 sorbet-type scoop
(which has a .8 fluid ounce capacity and one of those thumb-trigger
thingies that pushes the contents out) was the perfect tool for
exactly filling the wafer iron without overflow or empty space, so
that means more actual wafers from your recipe.

Of course, your iron may be different from mine, but I guess the
essential lesson is to find the right size spoon or scoop so you
don't waste a lot of batter. I found (not having known this
previously) that the adaptation I did of the Markham recipe (which I
believe is in the Florithingy) makes exactly four dozen wafers with a
five-inch iron and a #40 scoop.

Hmmmm. To sandwich them with chocolate ganache or not to sandwich
them. That is the question...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782