[Sca-cooks] Christmas Dinner with the USO

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 25 11:01:01 PST 2004

I just got back from the airport and volunteering to serve Christmas Dinner
to GI's moving through there today.  There weren't many takers when we were
there from 10 - 1, although the next shift of volunteers looked like they
were going to have more action.  The ones that did come through were very
grateful and sincere.  Most of the soldiers we fed were the ones that have
been home on leave and are being shipped back, which is very sobering.  It
makes my Christmas woes look much smaller by comparison.  I did feel guilty
being thanked for giving up my Christmas holiday, though.  The main reason
why I went was to not have to sit at home alone on Christmas, very selfish
of me actually.  (Santa and I finished up our rounds late last night, and
then he left to go back to his new life.  I don't think I've ever spent a
Christmas morning alone in my entire life until this morning.)  Even if it
weren't for that whole drama, it is hard to get across to people that some
of us have a need to nurture, work, serve, whatever, and doing something
that allows us to give in to that isn't a sacrifice at all.  I finally told
the very effusive coordinator that it had been very theraputic for me, and
not a hardship by any means.
So, while I have had the very un-merriest of Christmases and have no
presents to unwrap, I am blessed with many things in life, and was happy to
be reminded of them while having the opportunity to work for a good cause.
A blessed holiday to each and every one of you, may you be spending it with
friends and family (without too much drama), and may you each be aware of
your real presents, the important parts of life.
Christianna
OFB: Rolls, salad, sweet potato spears with oranges in browned butter, real
mashed potatoes, cornbread dressing, really good cranberry sauce, turkey
with gravy, lots of sweets and drinks.  All prepared by a Chef from a local
country club who is a member of the ACF chapter here.