[Sca-cooks] This will make your stomach cringe

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 06:03:22 PST 2004

I was at my sister's place here in the Atlanta area Saturday for
Christmas dinner.

I attendance were her inlaws, her sister in law and her fiance, my
brother in law and my neices.

They stewed the turkey breast meat down in the pan.  I say stewed
because it fell apart.  Not bad, I don't eat the breast meat. The dark
meat was roasted and tasty.  I'm a leg and thigh man, what can I say?

When it came time to make the gravy, my sister's mother in law said
"Hey, where is the turkey juice?" to which my sister replied "turkey juice?"

Here they had dumped out all the liquids from the bag the turkey came in
into a pan and had set it on the back of the stove without heat when they
put the turkey in the oven.

Gah.  Bleah. Ew.

My sister had found this lukewarm bacterial colony and had given it
a burial in the sink drain after about the 5th hour sitting in the
nice blood warm
stove back (she said it had started to ferment and stink).

They tore into my sister for throwing away the "best part of the gravy."

I said "you mean the botulism?  sounds great to me.  I just love spending
the day after christmas clutching my stomach.  I bet this explains why you
folks catch the "flu" each year at this time"  Each year they find the relative
to blame for getting people sick at Christmas dinner....

My brother in law's sister is a nurse and thanked me for standing up to them
over the issue.  She  never eats the gravy and was able to eat it this year.

Some people just amaze me.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson