[Sca-cooks] citations on sour dough from the OED

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 1 09:20:15 PST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Fisher <liamfisher at gmail.com>

[much snippage]
I can't see a medival baker,  pioneer wife, or trail cook  waiting to use
a starter until it becomes sour enough to taste.  I can see if that starter
is fed and kept alive that it would become sour in time.

Cadoc

Platina says that the baker should beware using too much or too little leaven, because in the former case the bread would have a sour taste, and in the latter, it would be heavy and unhealthy.  So, he considered sourness in bread to be an undesirable quality.  I *think* there is more on this topic in some of the period health manuals; I'll take a look later.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom