[Sca-cooks] The 24 Days of Christmas? was: Cookie Recipe Exchange

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed Dec 1 14:59:08 PST 2004

That's just what I was using as an example of the FAST aspect of Advent.
The ones we have now may have treats or goodies inside them, but originally
they were for counting down the days to Christmas, which was the big feast
at the end of the Advent fast.  That's why having 12 days of Christmas
starting on Dec. 25th is such a big deal.  Advent Calendars aren't supposed
to be treats in and of themselves, they are a method of holding out through
the lean times because you know the big celebration is coming.
Calling the mass frenzy and commercial orgy that leads up to Christmas "the
Christmas season" is very 20th Century.  We are in the Advent season, if you
will, and are approaching the Christmas season.
Christianna

Hardly a new tradition. Think of children's Advent calendars ...

Cynara