[Sca-cooks] HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Dec 1 20:27:57 PST 2004

At 08:02 PM 12/1/2004, you wrote:
>Well, the dinner was not so good.

Oh, how sad! You have my sympathies!

>The salad was mixed greens (and that red and white stuff - that's arugula,
>yes?).

The red and white is radicchio. I kinda like it. I think arugula tastes
like something died in the bowl.

>  But the only dressings my mom had are thickened with gunk and overly
> sweetened with high fructose corn sweetener.

I've been making a concerted effort to cut the HFCS out of my diet- not
easy, because it's in EVERYTHING, but I seem to be cutting down on
processed foods as a consequence, which is a good thing.

>Rosa told my mom she needed dinner rolls, so my mom bought two tubes of
>crescent roll dough - one Pillsbury and one Kroger brand. The Kroger had a
>hideous artificial taste and was artificially colored a garish yellow. For
>some reason, although the directions on the tubes were identical, the
>nasty Kroger thingies cooked faster. I think maybe only one person ate any.

Euw. My sweetie made rolls- the traditional 'Cthulu' rolls, with fangs and
snakey tongues, and crescents. :-) They were yummy.

>The pumpkin pie was pretty good. The crust once again came out of a
>package, but was ok. The filling was made with sweetened condensed milk,
>which was also ok, although my mom made disparaging remarks about it.

I made our pumpkin pies with Ron and Hermione, which was nice. The first
pie I got a little happy with the ginger, but I corrected the seasonings
the second time (we had dinner for 12 Thursday and 18 on Friday!) and they
were yummy. Also made Flan of Almayne, which is always tasty.

>The dinner conversation was cold and stilted because so many topics are
>off limits for a variety of reasons. I'd rather had Thanksgiving dinner
>with friends, but my mom finds ways to punish me if i'm not having it with her.

You know, there are many reasons why I'm not all that unhappy that my
parents are several thousand miles away...

Friday is the Thanksgiving for 'Chosen Family' here at Regina's. Plenty of
food, lots of cider (and Dan brought a bottle of wine with a knight from
the Manesse Codex on the label- pretty good stuff) and enough people we had
to open the front door for awhile!

I do hope that you can make up for a grumpy dinner at your parents' by
having a happy dinner with friends. Is Crosston having the annual caroling
again?

'Lainie