[Sca-cooks] Baking Bread for Feasts (was Fair feast budget)

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 01:21:27 PST 2004

I think an awful lot depends upon the size of the feast, and the determination of your bakers.  For a large feast, it might well not be worth the trouble.  For a small feast, say 50 people or under, its doable, and according to our bakers,  enjoyable.

Last year I wasn't out of the hospital long enough to really help with much with the feast.  It was determined that we wanted to bake bread for the feast.  At that point, I said, "Guys,  I can give you the time to teach you, but I don't think I am really up for the challenge..."  (I was still a bit wobbly.)  I think there were about 3-4 people who learned to make bread.  Perhaps one had done it before, but the rest were brand new.

I was sure that by the time they had finished the actually finished bread, they would be exhausted, and wonder why we did it.  In actuality, all of them said they had a really good time with it.  One who missed the bread lesson is still disappointed so we will have to get together and teach her.  This year we aren't making bread from scratch.  We are focusing on sauces.  You move on, and do something different...  I think we may do bread again.  Possibly as a presentation to an extra special Crown or something...  And yes, William, it is hard to beat the smell of freshly baked bread.

Samrah (looking forward to baking bread on site)

And, who doesn't love the flavor and aroma of a freshly baked loaf of bread??

William de Grandfort