[Sca-cooks] prep and staging fresh bread at feasts

Terri Morgan nothingbutadame at inthe.sca.org
Thu Dec 2 17:28:12 PST 2004

> I must confess that I bake in advance, and freeze the breads,
> double-wrapped in plastic wrap and aluminum foil.  I take them
> out the night before and let them thaw in their wrappings.  I
> bake in multiple batches, primarily on weekends.  They're not
> warm from the oven, but still fresh and tasty.
<snip>

   Pre-cooking and freezing most of the loaves and then baking *one* batch
of bread early in the morning when you're staging everything else sends the
scent out into the Hall in a very satisfactory way and clears your ovens up
soon enough for meat roasting.
   I've only cooked at day event sites that let you in around 8 or 9 in the
morning - there's no way I'd be able to bake all the bread I needed. But if
I have the loaves ready to do their final rise on site while I'm unloading
the truck, then I can pop them in the oven in plenty of time to clear that
batch out for the rest of my cooking. It works for evoking bread-hunger.

Hrothny