[Sca-cooks] Re: Wheatabix

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Dec 3 09:10:52 PST 2004

Also sprach Sue Clemenger:
>Naw.  Master A is Roman, and they weren't able to, uh, colonize
>Ireland like so much else of the (then) known world.
>--maire "just a little partisan" ni nuanain

I'm a Briton at the end of the Roman occupation, actually. As for the
Romans' failure to locate the mouth of the Shannon, I can only say
necessity is the mother of invention, and there was no necessity,
apparently. This was never a "Britanien heute, am morgen, die Welt!"
situation. Whatever it was that the Irish had that the Romans would
have wanted (and those needs were well-met by Britain for quite a
while), it wasn't worth a complete redesign of their seafaring
structure. Hundreds of years later, for the Vikings, and later still,
the Normans, it was worth it.

<shrug>

A.

brioche!" / "If they have no bread, you have to say, let them eat
brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04