[Sca-cooks] Vigil in a Hotel

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 3 14:28:08 PST 2004

At 4:17 PM -0500 12/3/04, Martin G. Diehl wrote:
>lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>  >The hotel has said "no hot food"
>
>Please understand that I'm not trying to second guess
>you or play devil's advocate in favor of the hotel.
>
>However, when I read 'The hotel has said "no hot food"',
>I think 'insurance' and other messy things like that ...

I completely understand and I certainly don't want to lose the site for us.

I thought of two things: (1) insurance and (2) a way to try to get us
to eat the hotel food. But at least i'm not planning to cook anything
there...

I haven't been to this particular hotel, but two years ago i used my
hot glue gun in a hotel, and last year, well, a different hotel even
supplied an ironing board and an iron, and most hotels have coffee
makers in the rooms, so it seems that one can use hot things in the
rooms.

>Back on our side of the question ... I can think of some
>cards that we could consider playing, "tradition",
>"hospitality", "special food requirements',
>"Special dietary requirements' [hint: religion], etc.

I appreciate the suggestions...

>Another possibility would be to rent the chafing dishes
>from them.

Hmm-mmm, there's an idea. I'll check into that.

>Or you could imagine a 'flight from the battle' or
>'eat on the run' ... with everything served cold.

In reality, most of the all-period food will be cold or room
temperature. And this is for Vigils for two Laurels, not a Knight, so
i don't see figuring in a battle scenario, although the ideas are
imaginative.

There will be breads, several savory dips, seasoned olives, a 9th
century Abbasid cold chicken salad, some pre-made tarts both sweet
and savory, candied fruit peels and preserved fruits and maybe quince
past (it's quince season!), lauzinaj (proto-baklava), scattered bowls
of nuts and dried fruits, and other such stuff.

Since the second Vigilee approves of English, i'm considering Cheesey
Goo, which really works best if not gelid (it's something of a
novelty here on the Left Coast in the Central West). Besides, cold
Andalusian meat balls just don't sound appealing, even if the
Andalusian mustard sauce is normally cold. And i was hoping for some
warm beverages.

I'm not trying to "violate" the hotel, and have no intention of open
flames in the rooms, i  just hope to have a safe and sane way to warm
up a couple dishes.

Your thoughts are appreciated and useful.

Anahita