[Sca-cooks] bourbulleys

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Dec 3 16:10:29 PST 2004

Also sprach Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius:
>Also sprach Lonnie D. Harvel:
>>Pray tell, what are these? Is it the whole boar?
>
>Uninteresting thugs? Can you provide a context?

Okay, I see this is a series of recipes in Chiquart's "Du fait de
cuisine", and there's also a reference to what appears to be a
similarly named dish in the Viandier de Taillevent, and one in Le
Menagier de Paris. It seems to be a preparation of roast boar, either
whole, split, or portions. Looking at all the recipes, it seems like
the dish involves some kind of half-cooking process, then the meat is
skinned, the meat is larded, sometimes studded with cloves or basted
with a spicy sauce and/or served with a particular sauce. In general,
though, it seems to be a generic preparation which may actually be
named for the sauce. Scully (since his is the book I have closest to
hand) says at least one version of the dish includes an instruction
to cut up the cooked meat and reheat it in the boiling sauce.

Adamantius

brioche!" / "If they have no bread, you have to say, let them eat
brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04