[Sca-cooks] bourbulleys

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Fri Dec 3 16:26:15 PST 2004

From the glossary in my translation of Viandier:

"bourblier  Not translated.  It might be a
particular cut of the wild boar (Godefroy
suggests 'shoulder', Power has 'umbles' and
Scully (1986) has 'breast').  Scully (1988) very
reasonably suggests that it might instead be the
name of the sauce described in the recipe, or
(less likely) of the entire dish."

Also, from Rey et al "Dictionnaire historique de la langue
française" (more recent than my translation) we have:

"BOURBELIER n. m., terme de vénerie, a désigné l'épaule du sanglier
(1393) puis, de nos jours, son poitrail (1755) par allusion au fait
que l'animal, se roulant dans la bourbe, laisse souvent des traces
boueuses sur son pelage."

Which being translated would be something like "hunting term,
designated the shoulder of the wild boar (1393) then, up until
our time, its breast (1755) alluding to the fact that the animal,
rolling in mud, often leaves muddy marks on its coat."

So, take your pick.

Thorvald