[Sca-cooks] bourbulleys

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 17:30:48 PST 2004

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 18:23:08 -0600, Terry Decker
<t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> I don't seem to have received the initial past, but from the spelling, I
> think the recipe is from Chiquart.  It has counterparts in the Viander of
> Tallivent and in Menagier where it appears as bourbelier.  In Menagier, the
> statement is made that bourbelier refers to the backbone, so it is probably
> a loin or rib roast.  There are some sources which call for the roast to be
> sliced and simmerred in the sauce.  IIRC, I found this information in The
> Medieval Kitchen.
>
> Bear

Hrm, but when reading over the recipes it says to

"cut the bourboulleys lengthwise into two parts and then remove the skin from it
well and skillfully'

This is what makes me thing is is an organ meat....I've never seen a roast
with a skin, though it could be a membrane of some kind.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson