[Sca-cooks] bourbulleys

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 3 18:39:11 PST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net>

I don't seem to have received the initial past, but from the spelling, I
think the recipe is from Chiquart.  It has counterparts in the Viander of
Tallivent and in Menagier where it appears as bourbelier.  In Menagier, the
statement is made that bourbelier refers to the backbone, so it is probably
a loin or rib roast.  There are some sources which call for the roast to be
sliced and simmerred in the sauce.  IIRC, I found this information in The
Medieval Kitchen.

Bear

The 1606 French dictionary has this definition:

"Bourbelier, C'est le pis et rencontre d'un Sanglier, qu'on dit hampe en un Cerf, Pectus."

I have not been able to make a full translation of this.  "Pis" is udder".  I can't find a definition of "rencontre" that makes any sense in this context.  "Hampe", according to various dictionaries, is the chest/skirt cut of a deer.  So"

"Bourbelier, It is the udder and the _____ of a wild boar, which is called "hampe" in a deer.  Pectus [Latin for "chest"]

So, of your two choices above, I think rib roast makes the most sense.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom