[Sca-cooks] Suggestions Needed

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 4 00:32:21 PST 2004

   Goeffrey de Warenne asked:
> As a new SCA cook, I've been cooking various recipes at home to
> experiment, but my family is starting to beg me for meat loaf with
> ketchup and
> mashed potatoes.....
> meatloaf-msg      (16K)  4/ 8/02    Period meatloaf-like recipes.

There are also a number of medieval recipes which are very close to
many "modern" foods. Scrambled eggs, pretzels, wafers, salads and
others come to mind.

> I'd like to start taking food to our barony meetings for people to try
> (hey, it gives me a reason to cook more medieval food than my family is
> prepared to eat). Does anyone have suggestions for things that would
> be appropriate
> and would travel to that kind of setting?
Perhaps some of these files in the Florilegium might be of interest?
eggs-stuffed-msg  (32K) 12/25/02    Period stuffed eggs dishes. Recipes.
finger-foods-msg  (24K)  9/ 2/02    Ideas for finger foods at feasts
and events.
tarts-msg        (102K)  5/21/04    Period small, open-topped, shallow
pies.
Tourny-Basket-art (20K) 11/24/01    "Filling the Tourney Basket"
                                        by Lady Caointiarn.
meatballs-msg     (13K) 10/17/04    Period dishes with meatballs.
   (provide toothpicks)
pickled-meats-msg (58K) 10/11/01    Period pickled meats. Lord's Salt.
recipes.
14C-Sweets-art    (17K)  9/14/00    "Sweets and Treats of the 14C"
                                        by Lady Hauviette d'Anjou.
3-Span-Sweets-art (13K)  4/26/01    Three Spanish sweet dishes from de
Nola by
                                        Vicente.
marzipan-msg      (85K)  6/18/04    Use of marzipan (almond paste) in
sotelties.
Rosquillas-msg    (15K)  6/20/01    Spanish pastry of biscotti-like
rings.
shortbread-msg    (32K)  1/12/01    Period shortbread. Recipes and
directions.
23-Ger-Mushrm-art (28K)  3/ 6/03    "Twenty-three German Mushroom
Recipes"
                                        by Anahita.

Stefan
--------