[Sca-cooks] Menus

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Dec 4 08:45:03 PST 2004

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Greetings
>   I for the simple understanding need a little information. How large are
> the menus on average in your area of the SCA. Not cost or number of people
> simply dishes per remove.
> Sorry but bread is not considered a dish on menus up here its a
requirement.
>  Our feast run 5 dishes per remove with 2.5-3 removes being common over
2-4
> hours. Averaging 1.5-2lbs per plate over 2-4 hours.
>  Da

Well, most of us down here don't do removes- we do courses- see:

http://dialup.pcisys.net/~mem/course.html  ;-)

Generally, we see 3-5 dishes per course, depending on what's in the course
and what the idea is. For example, you might start out with an appetizer
course, and depending on your meal plan, you might want to have about three
things of some solidity, or you might want to go with a bunch of little
snacky bits. For one course, I served a pork roast, with three sauces,
starch, and vegetable. Just depends on what you're doing.

A lot depends on the kitchen, the help you have, what can be done ahead, the
style of the meal, the budget, etc. I've had feasts from the same cook that
varied from what seemed like hundreds of vegetable dishes surrounding a
minimum of meat, to an assortment of mixed casserole dishes.

But, generally, you see 3-5 per course.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.