[Sca-cooks] Getting discounted foods - was: Menus

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 5 07:24:49 PST 2004

>This can be managed
>by seeing if any of the vendors would like to donate or discount food
>being sold to the SCA since they are a non-profit organization.  If
>not, sometimes you get bulk discounts.
>
>For my past feasts, I had a good working repoire with the local
>farmer's market and I was able to give them a tax receipt for
>donations (as well as the recipes) for the feast.
>
>Cadoc

Sadly this is not an option for us up here (Canada) we can't create tax
receipts for anyone's benifits - only registered charities can. We can't
even claim itemized regular store receipts of SCA purchases for tax
purposes. I've heard of other volunteer communities (like the various
ethnic communities do in conjunction with one of our main festivals,
Folklorama) or engaed couples scoring prizes for Chinese aution at their
Social, sometimes trading free advertsing for company products, but that
usually only happens on a much larger scale (ie _hundreds_ of people
will be exposed to the advertizing, not a hundred).

For my illusion feast I donated a lot of stuff, which is still in my
possession - ready to get pressed into setrvice again sometime,  or we
never could have afforded it out of the regular feast budget, especially
with it being a smaller event to start with (specialty event - Bardic
Madness).

Faerisa