[Sca-cooks] Re: Getting discounted foods - was: Menus

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Sun Dec 5 07:41:55 PST 2004

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 09:54:14 -0500, kingstaste at mindspring.com
<kingstaste at mindspring.com> wrote:
> Getting donations is wonderful if you can manage it.  Vendors can write it
> off on their taxes.  I have tried to get wholesale prices without much luck,
> however.  When we looked into this option, we were told that since we were
> not paying taxes on the other side (i.e. we were not re-selling the food and
> paying tax on that food sale), we had to pay the tax when we bought it.
> Just because we were a non-profit didn't get us a wholesale rating.  Anyone
> else have different results?
> Christianna

In PA, food isn't taxed unless you are buying it at a restaraunt.  I normally
just asked if there was a discount available since I was guaranteeing the
sale of  x cases of produce and y pounds of meat for that day.  Also a lot
of grocery store chains will give you a discount  if you have proof you are
buying the food for a non-profit organization (usually written proof).  Usually
there is a discussion with the store manager when you arrive to price things
(take your exchequer with you, I think they have the documentation).

I managed the purchasing for my Mom's church's chicken BBQ (northern
bbq ;p ) when they couldn't find someone who actually attended the church
to do it.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson