[Sca-cooks] Getting discounted foods - was: Menus

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Dec 7 12:07:43 PST 2004

Also sprach Elaine Koogler:
>Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:
>
>>>Getting donations is wonderful if you can manage it.  Vendors can write it
>>>off on their taxes.  I have tried to get wholesale prices without much luck,
>>>however.  When we looked into this option, we were told that since we were
>>>not paying taxes on the other side (i.e. we were not re-selling the food and
>>>paying tax on that food sale), we had to pay the tax when we bought it.
>>>Just because we were a non-profit didn't get us a wholesale rating.  Anyone
>>>else have different results?
>>>

>>Well, Restaurant Depot will let you shop there for a non-profit
>>organization if you can provide a copy of the group's tax
>>certificate. Christopher, who is a local group exchequer, is going
>>to follow up on that with our kingdom to see if we can do that.
>>

>I know that I've shopped at the one near Baltimore, and they
>required a business license.  Does the tax certificate negate the
>need for this?
>
>Kiri

My own experience (and others' mileage may vary greatly) is that
offering conspicuously to pay cash -- especially if your supplier is
not part of a big national chain -- will make sales tax, a tax
certificate, and license unnecessary.

I think part of the problem is that while we're not-for-profit, the
tax certificate does not entitle us to the kind of discount designed
for resellers.

Adamantius, former exchequer whose info may be obsolete

brioche!" / "If they have no bread, you have to say, let them eat
brioche."
Rousseau, "Confessions", pub 1782

Holt, 07/29/04