[Sca-cooks] Asabi Zainab: Musk

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 13:10:54 PST 2004

Berelinde spaketh the truth:
>The musk is a tricky deal breaker. I might want to try a
>little screw-pine essence (Indian stores) for an unusual
>flavor. Pine isn't the same as musk. Nothing else would
>taste like musk but musk. But unless you work for IFF or
>Firmenich, or some other fragrance supplier, you probably
>can't get musk.

As one who has made her living from fragrances and spices, I can tell you positively the use of real musk is illegal in the US.  As far as I know there is no substitute in fragrance or food.  Then again, I'm good, but I am not the fragrance goddess ;o).  I had not heard of "muskseed".  According to professionals who have allegedly smelled real musk, it is a good deal darker, deeper, etc., than what is currently being passed off as musk now.  Musk does not seem to have any green smell to it from what I understand.  I would be inclined to use some of my favorite spice, blatantly alter the recipe, but remember to tell everyone I did.

Samrah