[Sca-cooks] wafers

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Dec 7 19:23:49 PST 2004

Wafers? I am always game for communications on wafers.

I have four of the new electric machines now purchased
in the last 3 years. 3 are Villaware and one was Chef's Choice.
I know this sounds like madness but I think own 7 electric ones now.
I also own a stovetop giro, two or 3
pizzelle, and at least one or two krumkake bakers for burner use.
 You name it I own the version of it. (Remember I am ostensibly working on a
book on this topic. I keep running across good buys.
 I have been into wafers for nearly 30
years. I did wafers back when few others were doing wafers.)

I suggest non-stick electric if you are planning to seriously
make wafers for a feast. I have done 600 plus using the Villaware
electric irons.
 If left flat, they don't take more effort than doing "cookies". The thin
krumkake ones tend to crumble, but the sturdier Italian pizzelles make
up in advance and transport well.
The krumkakes are best made on site or require careful packing. The pizzelle

irons (either the two or mini 4 at a time) make a thicker cookie. I take
those out and let them harden up on a rack. Then they are gathered up and
put into plastic containers in stacks.

So that's the story. I would advise looking around because there are
some really good deals.

As to which I prefer, it's a toss-up. I like them all. The krumkake are
of course much thinner and more fragile. They work best with a batter.
The other ones can be either a batter or can be the type where you roll
balls of dough out or drop spoonfuls of dough on the plates. They all
make a good cookie. And the recipes vary enough that having a variety
of irons makes sense at least in my kitchen.

Hope this helps,
Johnnae llyn Lewis

I have wafers/waffles on the brain! I've been
researching different recipes. Now, I'm on the verge
of making some.
I can't find information on what would be more
appropriate, a pizellle maker, a krumkake iron or just
plain undecorated wafers.
Kind Regards, Clara von Ulm