[Sca-cooks] I finally got some land to garden on..

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 7 22:02:10 PST 2004

Jenn asked:
> ..but i've never gardened before.snipped
> What advice would y'all have for the novice
> gardener?  What books/websites would y'all recommend for me to peruse
> for inspiration/information?
> Stories of dream veg gardens that have little or nothing to do with my
> question are completly acceptable and are, in fact, encouraged.

Just in case you don't feel buried in suggestions by now, here are a
few files in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section of the Florilegium
which you might find of interest. Perhaps some items such as the turf
benches might be something you might want to add to your modern garden.
Or perhaps use just a section of your area for a medieval style herb or
vegetable garden.
A-Mazng-Herbs-art  (5K)  8/31/01    "A-Mazing-Herbs" by Countess Tessa
                                        of the Gardens, OP.
A-Med-Garden-art  (32K)  7/29/02    "Recreating a Medieval Garden"
                                         by Brianna McBain.
Basic-Herbs-art    (6K) 11/ 2/02    "Basic List of Herbs"
                                        by HL Suzanna the herbalist.
gardening-msg     (17K)  2/29/00    Period and modern gardening
techniques.
Herbs-Sm-Grdn-art (32K) 10/10/01    "Medieval Herbs for the Very Small
Garden"
                                        by Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.
p-agriculture-bib (19K)  3/23/99    Bibliography of period agricultural
                                        practices by Laurie Brandt
(Pegasus)
Pattrn-gardns-art (12K) 10/13/00    "Parterres and the Jardins Potager
in the
                                        Current Middle Ages" by Akim
Yaroslavich.
roses-art         (36K)  5/15/97    "Sacred Iron Posies" by Daniel del
Cavallo.
                                        (medieval roses).
seeds-msg         (60K) 12/27/00    Sources for period plants and seeds.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com