[Sca-cooks] Hamantaschen

Lonnie D. Harvel ldh at ece.gatech.edu
Wed Dec 8 05:45:11 PST 2004

kingstaste at mindspring.com wrote:

>(Somewhere I recall reading that the traditional filling of poppyseeds are
>supposed to represent something - each seed stands for all the Jews that
>were saved maybe?  I know someone can fill this part in...)

Though there may be several interpretations (as happens with old
traditions)...

The poppyseeds are in honor of Queen Esther. In order to eat kosher in
the kings palace, she became a vegetarian, eating mostly seeds, fruits,
and legumes. By tradition, her favorite was poppyseeds. The traditional
fillings for hamantashen are poppyseed or fruit.

BTW:
The Talmud instructs that one should consume enough alcohol to render
one unable to distinguish between "Bless Mordecai" and "Curse Haman."

Aoghann