[Sca-cooks] Hamantaschen

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 8 13:39:52 PST 2004

--- lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> Another thing to note is that Hamantaschen is a
> traditional Purim
> food for the Ashkenazi Jews, not the Sephardim
> (who fled from Spain
> all around the Mediterranean, and even to the
> Netherlands) nor the
> Mizrachim (the Jews who never left the Near and
> Middle East to move
> to Europe).
>
> My favorite flavor of Hamantaschen is poppy,
> which usually has some
> pureed prunes in it and prunes are yummy (as
> are poppy seeds).
>
> Anahita

Thank you Anahita.  I knew what Hamantaschen
was, but I didn't know that it was exclusively
Ashkenazi.

So this begs the question then, what do the
Sephardim and the Mizrachim serve at a Purim
festival?

Also, I had heard that the Jews who live in
Turkey were Sephardim, but by your definition
wouldn't they actually be Mizrachim?

Huette
I'm just a Goy who can't say "no".

=====