[Sca-cooks] Yonah Shimmel's

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Wed Dec 8 18:29:04 PST 2004

"Mark S. Harris" wrote:

> Adamantius mentioned:
> > Also sprach lilinah at earthlink.net:
> > > I thought this venerable institution might have been
> > > a thing of mere memory. But Google turned up:
> > >
> > > Since 1910
> > > Yonah Shimmel's Knishery
> > > 1-212-477-2858
> > > LOWER EAST SIDE
> > > 137 E. Houston, btwn 1st & 2nd Ave
> > > http://knishery.com/
> >
> > > Anahita
> > > not planning on ordering Yonah Shimmel's knishes on-line
> >
> > It looks like YS may have simply licensed the name, and
> > maybe the recipes, which can be adapted to some extent
> > for mass production. And that's fine for people who
> > don't have other options, but this may not mean that
> > the knishes at Schimmel's have changed much.

> So, what *is* a "knish"?

[snip]

> Are these stuffed biscuits? Or something more like a
> stuffed potato pancake or dumpling?
> This is a traditional Jewish food, right?
>
> Stefan

Nu? ... "So, what's a knish", he says ...

Here is a way to make them ...

"Yonah Schimmel New York City Knish Recipe"
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/534/Yonah_Schimmel_New_York_City_Knish35191.shtml

Size wise, they are between a dumpling and a biscuit
(or large biscuit, as you wish).

I recall reading a NYTimes article sometime in the 1960's

There had been a march and demonstration against some ...
in truth, I don't have a certainty about what.  As I can
best recall, the march went through the Lower East Side.

There, " ... knishes were thrown."

The reporter added, "Fortunately no one was hurt as
knishes are harmful only when taken internally."

I include this not as a warning about knishes, but more
as a warning of what passes for humor in NY -- in the
Times, even yet.

Oh, you want you should know about "nu" -- later ask.

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick