[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 19, Issue 29

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Wed Dec 8 18:33:47 PST 2004

> Sorry, newbie here.  Please define redaction.  what is the origin and
> epistomology of this word?

It's an SCA cooking term of art, which basically means taking the period
recipe and writing it out in our interpretation of it into modern recipe
language and format. In the larger world, 'redact' doesn't have this
special sense, but it is useful shorthand in SCA attempts at period
recipes. While it's certainly possible to cook from many period recipes
without 'redacting' (interpreting) them, some require a bit of working
out or adapting, and it's easier to do quantities and so forth, and have
other people help you in the kitchen, if you work out a modern-style
writeup of your interpretation.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I don't get the facts wrong.  It's everything else I screw up."
    -- _The Librarian: Quest for the Spear_