[Sca-cooks] You know you're in the SCA when... (was Hard liquorin period recipes, was Adamantius pants)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 9 19:41:11 PST 2004

The problem with "I read it somewhere" attached to a declarative statement
is that it is a call to an unidentified authority which is difficult to
value or challenge unless someone recognizes the source or has conflicting
or corroborating information.   To use a book this way is not to inspire
thought, but to present "facts" demonstrating the cleverness of the
presenter.  If the presenter is not sure of the validity of the facts, then
presenting them without caveat is a form of bludgeoning the audience.

The fact that you have a book doesn't make you right, but if you use that
book to support a statement or present a thesis, there is an obligation to
insure that your information is as accurate as you can make it.  Uncritical
acceptance of "fact" without a cursory examination of the quality of the
author or the work is merely abrogating your thought to authority.  Not a
bit of inspiration in that.

And speculation is fine, but it clearly needs to be labelled as speculation.
How does someone not on this list reading the words a year from now
determine whether a statement was speculation or pontification?  Without the
distinction, we, as authors of these missives, become guilty of further
spreading misinformation.

Contradiction occurs.  So do errors, oversights, and hyperbole.  Presenting
such as "fact" without noting the context is deceit.  We all take diet books
with a grain of salt knowing that the author is usually overstating the
facts to support their views.  But how do you value a dietary "fact" if you
don't know whether it comes from a best selling diet book or a scientific
paper from a major diet study?

The salt/no salt argument isn't really valid when talking about primary
sources with no external references.  They stand by themselves.  But what
about Martino's recipe for chicken in orange sauce which was translated in
Platina as being chicken in citron or lemon sauce.  Platina's recipe is
correct in the context of Platina's work in Latin, but it is not an accurate
translation of Martino's work.  And what about the issue of the salt being
edited out in the fourth edition of the original text.  Is the first edition
more correct than the fourth edition?  A lot of work goes into comparing
manuscripts and texts just to answer these kinds of questions.

The problem with references is one really need to know about them to
evaluate them.  A direct quote from Pliny has one value.  A tertiary
interpretation of a badly translated original text has another.  But if one
doesn't know which is which, how can one place a value on them?

There is a lot of misinformation in the world.  All of us know "facts" that
aren't really so.  To my mind the goal should be to refine our knowledge and
try to reduce the spread of our misinformation.  To that end, should we not
try to be clear about the sources of our "facts" and the intent of their
presentation?

Bear