[Sca-cooks] Water Purity was: Mustards

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 10 10:15:31 PST 2004

During the mustard thread, there arose discussion about water quality:

> > But water was probably as common a liquid to use in
> > England at that time as vinegar...

> In England, when? I was thinking that water would have
> to be boiled, otherwise you would be taking a chance
> on using water which was contaminated with microbes.

'microbes' ... yeah ... and _everything_ else.

Stefan, how could they have generally known about health
hazards of water in the Renaissance?  In Holland, about
1595 the microscope was invented by Zacharias Jansenn
(his business was grinding lenses for eyeglasses).  Later,
Anton van Leeuwenhoek began to make microscopes as a hobby.

I recall reading a comment (IIRC, NY Times) that modern
archeological examination of period cesspools (coprolites)
in London showed that the residents played host to every
parasite known to man.

Vincenzo

I would add that there are other indications that water purity was
considered, at least on a medical level.  There are illustrations* that show
doctors examining a patient's urine in a vessel called an orinel.  It's a
clear glass, rounded bottle with a lipped mouth.  Color and clarity were
checked as well as smell and taste for diagnosis purposes.  It wouldn't be
much of a stretch to think that they would also check such standards in
drinking water sources, at least in some enlightened areas and times.  Not
that you would find microbes that way, but you can see a lot if you're
looking for it.
Christianna
*citations coming, sources not currently available ;)