Challenge of history was Re: [Sca-cooks] making ahead and freezing...

Linda Peterson mirhaxa at morktorn.com
Fri Dec 10 12:38:13 PST 2004

Well, some of us have other lives, too. The main problem is that most
medieval kitchens feeding 2-300 people had a -lot- more scullery slaveys
than we generally do. There's also the problem of cooking in a kitchen not
your own, where everything must be transported in and out again, the feast
cooked on questionable equipment, all in about 16 hours. Lucky you to have
access to a giant gas ovens. We're more likely to run into an electric
house range being dripped water on from the leak around the ceiling light
in some church cooking closet.

Mirhaxa  ;)

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Nick Sasso wrote:
> I have read this thread only sporadically.  Has anyone brought in the
concept that the preparation of the feast is still another attempt to
approximate the historical accuracy of our craft?  Sure giant gas ovens are
different from the wood hearths morelikely used, but our techniques and
avoidance of modern conveniences are both simple choices we can make to reach
back and feel the life of the manor kitchen feeding 120 for Feast of St.
Bogdacious, forexample.

  mirhaxa at morktorn.com