[Sca-cooks] pantler knife/chaffer knife

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 07:17:26 PST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:47:51 -0500, Stephen Bloch <sbloch at adelphi.edu> wrote:

> Anyway, in brief, the "chaffer knife" should probably be called
> "chopper".  Which raises another issue: in my experience,
> smooth-edged knives don't work very well for slicing bread, which is
> why modern bread knives are serrated.  Has anybody seen evidence for
> a serrated knife in SCA period?  I don't see any examples in the MoL
> book.
> --
>                                      John Elys
>           (the artist formerly known as mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib)
>                                  mka Stephen Bloch
>                                  sbloch at adelphi.edu

If a knife is sharp and the bread a day old, I have had no problem cutting
bread with a chef's knife.  I buy bread that is literally plain bread,
no additives,
etc, made with starter, flour, water, and salt.

Even with the really cheap lamo knife I bought at Target.  (that french store,
you know Tar-jay)

With the more modern breads, which may be softer, I guess you need
the serrated edge.  Or they go squish.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson