[Sca-cooks] Holiday Meal suggestions

caointiarn caointiarn1 at juno.com
Sun Dec 12 17:11:46 PST 2004

Anahita asked:
> OK, so i'm planning to make Thanksgiving dinner in 2006.
> Our Standard Thanksgiving Menu is more or less:
> -- Sweet Potatoes - usually canned candied mashed and topped with
marshmallows, <> So, without straying terribly far from the basic menu, what
would folks suggest?<

    A favorite for MY family is simple boiled sweet potatoes.  We prefer the
pale yellow flesh ones over the more orangey-red ones.  It's a simple
recipe, boiling them until tender, keep warm in the crockpot until serving
time, and everyone does their own toppings {generally our family choices are
butter, S&P or gravy}.  For the Mom,  you could make one especially for her,
after boiling slice down the middle {not all the way through} put in tiny
marshmallows, brown sugar, what not, and wrap in foil.  Place in oven to
melt the "toppings."  Kinda like the  "Banana Boats" of Girl Scout days.
"Leftover" sweet potatoes are then  sliced & pan fried in butter.  YUM!

How about a compost for the salad?   maybe the sweet Elizabethan spinach
tart?  That's always a novel dish when I serve it  -- always someone
exclaiming how they NEVER liked spinach before they tasted mine . . . .

some things to think about
Caointairn