[Sca-cooks] Gnocchi

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 13 08:48:17 PST 2004

Sharon wrote:
>  8) Gnocchi--though it's not period, I have had some excellent pumpkin
>  gnocchi.  No recipe, alas.

Well, gnocchi is period, just not the kind made with mashed potatoes
or orange pumpkins (i figure i can track down a recipe for the
pumpkin kind with a minute amount of googling).

The first time i made gnocchi (i'd never eaten them) was in the
mid-1970s, from a recipe from one of those woman's magazines at the
check out stand in the stupormarket - either Family Circle or Woman's
Day - they actually had some decent recipes much of the time.

The gnocchi it produced was really delicious. Alas, the recipe
disappeared during the course of my life. I eventually ate some
potato gnocchi and was not impressed. Then i was quite pleasantly
surprised to discover the gnocchi recipe in "The Medieval Kitchen" by
Sabin, Redon, & Servetti when it was published in English. It was
pretty much what had been in that woman's magazine over 30 years ago!
Mmm-mmm-mmm!

It was rather amusing when a local Laurel brought some he'd made
using The Medieval Kitchen recipe to the period pot-luck of a Shire
we hang out with. He is of Italian extraction and was disappointed
with them, since all he was used to was the potato kind. I, on the
other hand, was delighted to eat them, since they tasted like those
i'd made 30 or so years before.

So, yes, Virginia, there is SCA-period gnocchi. And it beats the heck
out of potato gnocchi. In my opinion.

Anahita